Search

HAPPY

Updated: Jun 12

I plan releases quite a bit ahead of time, and when I added this next design to the June lineup, I had no idea what would be going on in the world. I have gone back and forth on whether to release it as planned. Ultimately, I decided that we could all use a little happy. <3. Soo... here it is! The first June 2020 release--and I'm calling it Happy.



This design features a vintage bicycle with flowers in the front and back baskets. The word "happy" is written underneath, and the whole thing is framed on the top and bottom with flowers on branches. I played up my love for pastels in this design and leaned heavily on overdyed flosses from Weeks Dye Works to add texture and dimension. The overdyed effect also gives the design a soft and slightly weathered vibe. As stitched, the pattern uses shades of blue, pink, gray, green, yellow, and brown.


PATTERN DETAILS: This design suggests threads from Weeks Dye Works and DMC. The pattern uses whole stitches only. The model is stitched over 2 on 32ct Antique White Belfast Linen using 2 ply thread. The stitch count is 55w x 89h and the finished design measures approximately 3 1/2"w x 5 3/8"h when stitched on 32 count/equivalent.


COLOR TIP: The shade of blue suggested to use on the bicycle is very light and has beige and gray undertones, and so it doesn't show up well against many gray or beige fabrics. I suggest stitching on something white or antique white if you are going to use the suggested floss. WHERE TO BUY RECREATE THE LOOK: I finished this design as a mounted flat. Backing Board and Fabric -- I used 3 pieces of backing board trimmed to size with a rotary cutter.

I cut the smallest one (I'll call it #1) to have 1/2 inch margins around the design, and then padded it using warm and white craft batting and Aleens Tacky Glue before adhering my cross stitch piece on with tacky glue.



The other two pieces of backing board (I'll call them 2 and 3) were cut to identical sizes. I used two so the piece would have a polished looking front and back. They had 1 inch margins around #1. I wrapped them both in a gray scattered dot fabric from Kimberbell and used Aleens Tacky Glue to adhere the Kimberbell fabric to the backing boards. I used hot glue to adhere the fabric-wrapped pieces together with the wrong sides in. Cording -- I made custom cording with a Kreinik corder. To get the thickness on the model, I used 6 strands of the full 6-ply DMC. 3 strands were DMC 353 and 3 strands were DMC 225. To get the length needed, I cut each strand to be loosely 3x the perimeter of the mounted stitched piece. I used hot glue to adhere the cording to the stitched piece. My tutorial for how to make the cording is found here. Bow- For the bow base, I used two segments from a 7/8" wide grosgrain peach colored ribbon from Ribbon Boutique (Hobby Lobby). I cut an 8" segment to make the bow piece, and I cut a 7.5" segment to be the tail piece. After shaping the two pieces, I hot glued them together at the center pleat to complete that layer of the bow. I stacked the peach bow underneath a green bow and a cream colored bow. To make the green bow, I used a 14 inch segment of 3/8" double-sided green satin ribbon (from Offray). To make the cream colored bow, I used a 14 inch segment of 3/8" double-sided grosgrain ribbon (also from Offray). I used hot glue to adhere all 3 bows together, and trimmed the edges horizontally before sealing with Fray Check. I topped the bows with a size 30 (3/4") covered button from Dritz. I used the same gray Kimberbell fabric on the covered button that I used to wrap the backing board. My bow tutorial is found here.



The completed bow was hot glued over the cording seam on the mounted flat, and then I added some frosted white berry pieces. They were trimmed with a wire cutter from a seasonal berry pick found at Walmart and hot glued under the bow.

This was the result.

Happy Stitching!

  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White Pinterest Icon
  • White Instagram Icon